The Australia Bureau of Statistics (ABS) Household Impacts of COVID-19 Survey provides insights into the prevalence and nature of the impacts from COVID-19 on households across Australia. The August 2020 survey looked at emotional and mental wellbeing and the feelings associated with depression and anxiety.
In mid-August, according to the ABS survey, Australians reported experiencing feelings associated with poorer emotional and mental wellbeing.
Key findings from the survey show that over a period of four weeks:
- 41.0% of males felt nervous at least some of the time
- 36.2% of males felt that everything was an effort at least some of the time
- 20.8% of males felt hopeless at least some of the time
- 14.2% of males felt worthless at least some of the time
- 13.5% of males discussed feelings of psychological distress with a doctor or health professional.
Male caller trends
At MensLine Australia, a national 24/7 free telephone and online counselling service, we have seen an increase in calls. August had the highest number of calls received over a six month period. Calls related to COVID-19 also increased by 26% compared to the previous month.
During July and August 2020, compared to the previous two months:
- Calls about mental health increased by 95%
- Calls about family violence increased by 56%
- Calls about work and employment increased by 48%
- Calls about relationship issues increased by 36%.
Perhaps not surprisingly, given the stronger COVID-19 restrictions for Victoria, during August the MensLine Australia website saw its biggest jump in visitors from Victorian residents.
To meet the increased client demand, we are stepping up the service and will be broadening MensLine’s scope to include inbound referrals and case management. Across all of our services at On the Line, we are continuously improving our processes and investing in technology to enhance the client experience and meet funder expectations.
Want to talk about partnerships?
On the Line delivers over 20 mental health and counselling services across Australia. We operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Our services are delivered by professional counsellors who support clients across the mental health continuum: from low intensity to those who are high risk and have complex needs.
If you are an organisation who wants to talk to us about partnership opportunities and counselling services, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Want to speak to a professional counsellor?
If you or someone you know needs support, please contact one of our 24/7 counselling services:
If it is an emergency, please dial 000.