This Sunday is World Mental Health Day, an initiative of the World Federation for Mental Health. The theme this year is Do You See What I See?, which challenges perceptions about mental illness in Australia.
Do You See What I See? is encouraging everyone to help reduce stigma and make a #MentalHealthPromise. By making a promise, we’re shedding a more positive light on mental health, which will encourage more people to seek help and support.
To kick off the campaign, World Mental Health Day and Mental Health Australia are making the following promises:
- Listen openly to my family members, and help them find support if they need it.
- Share my journey with my family to help them understand my experience.
- Ensure all staff know the importance of mental wellbeing at work.
- Support my classmates and help them get support if they need it.
- Check in with mates and let them know I’m here to listen.
- Tell my close friends if I’m feeling unwell and need support.
World Mental Health Day is also the start of Mental Health Week in Australia.
There are events taking place across the country, take a look to see if there is something near you:
If you need to talk a counsellor about any stresses you are feeling, call one of our services: